Monday, June 24, 2013

Pregnancy Gives A Woman Perspective


Dear Elijah,

I gave birth to you in my 29th year of life. That probably will seem old to you when you read this but it’s actually young if you are comparing it to one’s whole lifetime. When I turned 29 I didn’t yet know that I was pregnant with you and I had recently had a revelation. I was going to make 29 My YEAR! I was going to make it adventurous, take risks, and go out of my way to have a REALLY good time, lose weight and maybe even give myself a makeover. I thought it was going to be kind of like the last hoorah of my twenty’s. I thought I might get a tattoo or do some traveling. Little did I know I was pregnant so a tattoo was out and saving money seemed much more important with a little one on the way. Losing weight wasn’t going to happen and wouldn’t be safe with you growing inside me. But I did go on an adventure; every day of my pregnancy was different than anything I had ever experienced before. I didn’t lose weight but I gained a whole other perspective on body image. For the first time in my life I wasn’t focused on my size but focused on being healthy. Don’t get me wrong I did chat with our midwife frequently to make sure that I was staying in a healthy weight range but again the focus was on health for you and I. Gaining weight wasn’t a bad thing because it meant that you were given the tools you needed to become strong. I embraced my big belly and rejoiced in my ability to care for you using my strong body, your home as you grew. I ended up getting a health makeover because I gave up alcohol and the majority of my caffeine intake. Giving up Diet Coke and coffee was tough for me. I took a daily vitamin and avoided MSG. I also let myself get as much rest as I wanted. I quit my stressful job and got one that I enjoyed much more. I didn’t get sick the whole nine months, not even a cold and I felt great. I called myself Super Mom, only half joking because I truly felt invigorated and my life had been given more purpose then I had ever felt before. I felt like I was a better me. I gained 33 lbs and an abundance of stretch marks but most importantly I gained perspective. I was able to love me more because it was my body that allowed me to grow and love you more.     
Love,
Your Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment