Thursday, May 30, 2013

Marriage




Dear Elijah,
I wanted to take the time to write to you about something exciting happening right here in Minnesota, Gay people will be allowed to get married beginning August 1st, 2013! This is a simple letter because I just wanted to let you know that I am an Ally to gay people. Your mom believes that love is love and that we should appreciate it regardless of if it is between a same sex couple or a man and a woman. I believe that marriage is a very powerful and important commitment and that our world could only benefit by allowing people to take their relationships to that level. This also reminds me that there was a time when interracial couples were not allowed the right to marry. That hits home for us because your mom and dad wouldn't have been allowed to marry. What a shame that would have been because your dad and I are better people because of each other and how we work together to raise our family. I am very happy that you will get to choose when, if and who you marry because then you will not be burdened by restrictions that other people put on you and you can be free to be the wonderful person you were meant to be.
Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment